If the brain is the CPU of our body spinal cord is the wire that carries all the information from the brain to the rest of your body. The spinal cord carries out three essential functions which are:
- Sending motor commands from the brain to the rest of the body
- Transferring the sensory information from the body to the brain
- Manage and coordinate reflexes
Hence damage to your spinal cord can leave you with paralysis in most body parts. And although the patients suffering from SCI can’t fully recover their movement, medical marijuana can help to relieve the symptoms to a certain point.
Types of spinal cord injury
Spinal cord injuries fall under two major categories which include:
Complete spinal cord injury
Complete SCI causes total loss of motor and sensory function. The loss of motor and sensory function occurs below the level of the location of the injury.
Incomplete spinal cord injury
Patients with Incomplete SPI can face a partial loss in sensory and motor function.
Role of marijuana in SCI
Marijuana can help patients with SCI to deal with the symptoms. Some benefits of marijuana include:
- It can help to control chronic pain without consuming addictive drugs like opioids.
- It helps to control muscle spasms and the pain that comes with them.
- It helps to reduce the nerve pain caused by inflammation.
- It helps to relieve mental distress, anxiety, and depression.
- It helps to improve the quality of sleep.
Requirements before consuming marijuana
Marijuana is a psychoactive drug and comes under Schedule I Substance under the Controlled Substances Act. Therefore you need a recommendation from an Ohio MMJ Doctor to own an Ohio Medical Marijuana Card. With the help of this card, you can purchase and grow high-quality medical marijuana under legal security.